Thursday, May 26, 2005

Senatorial Sophistry

Have you been wondering what happened in the private meeting between John Bolton and George Voinovich that would make a grown Senator come to tears on the floor of the Senate when "deliberating" over a nomination for UN ambassador?

**must listen here**


EFI exclusive, transcript of private meeting.

Voinovich:

Mr. Bolton, thank you for coming by my office, I am terribly sorry I didn't have time to attend any of your confirmation hearings.

Bolton:

That is quite alright Senator, I am sure you had some very important things to attend to.

Voinovich:

Yes, yes I did, but it has come to my attention that your nomination is quite important to me.

Bolton:

Well then, what would you like to know?

Voinovich:

What would I like to know? Rather presumptuous of you don't you think. I am a Senator, I know a great deal, I want to ascertain what you know.

Bolton:

I meant no disrespect Senator, please ask me anything you like.

Voinovich:

What are your thoughts on positive creativeness and it's effects on peacebuilding?

Bolton:

Well, I have some thoughts on the best way to promote peace and freedom and our approach to the UN to achieve those ideals, but.....

Voinovich:

Oh come now, surely you know what I am talking about? Positive creativeness is the fundamental quality of the human spirit. At the UN are you going to embrace those who have surmounted personal difficulties... make friends with them? We have got to make friends with these people at the UN Mr. Bolton!! [pounding fist into desk] We must propel their spirits to the task of Peace-building, thus ensuring a radiant future Mr. Bolton!!"

Bolton:

Well...I....

Voinovich:

Mr. Bolton, are you even aware of the international non-competitive achievement awards program called the Cultural Awards Program of Imagine! Inc., a cooperative project with Pathways to Peace?

Bolton:

No sir, but I can look into it and report back to you.

Voinovich:

Yes, yes, I think you should do that. It has become quite important to me. There are numerous wonderful things being done in cooperation with the UN, that you might want to look into. This is important to me Mr. Bolton. You know what else is important to me? My grandchildren. Do you care about my grandchildren Mr. Bolton?

Bolton:

I don't know your grandchildren Senator, but I am sure you have a wonderful family.

Voinovich:

You don't even know them? I think I have heard all I need to. Good day Mr. Bolton.


Voinovich mp3, courtesy of Radio Blogger. A big EFI salute. Go check out the site.