Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Woodward on Larry King Live--A Transcript

LARRY KING:

Tonight, a prime-time exclusive. Bob Woodward and that other guy, the reporters who broke the Watergate story that brought down a presidency, in their first live prime-time interview since they got scooped by their legendary source, Deep Throat, when he suddenly revealed the identity they'd all kept secret for 30 years.

I want to talk about anonymous sources, do you think the use of anonymous sources has gotten out of hand?

WOODWARD:

Well Larry, I would have to say, under the circumstances, no. I would have to say........., no.

LARRY KING:

In the Vanity Fair article, where you were scooped, there has been substantial speculation about your clandestine meetings with Deep Throat in your bedroom.

WOODWARD:

Yes.

LARRY KING:

Can you understand why people would worry about meeting anonymous sources in your bedroom?

WOODWARD:

Because they are ignorant of how journalists work.

LARRY KING:

But is it really appropriate for a journalist, to share a bedroom with an anonymous source that is not related to him at all?

WOODWARD:

That's a beautiful thing.

LARRY KING:

That's not a worrying thing?

WOODWARD:

Why should that be worrying, what's the criminal...who's Jack the Ripper in the room? There's some guy trying to heal an anonymous source .....

LARRY KING:

Did you ever sleep in a bed with Deep Throat?

WOODWARD:

No, but I have slept in a bed with plenty of anonymous sources.

LARRY KING:

But, is that right Bob?

WOODWARD:

It's very right. It's very loving, that's what the world needs now, more love, more heart.

LARRY KING:

The world needs a journalist who's sleeping in a bed with anonymous sources?

WOODWARD:

No, you're making it - no, no you're making it all wrong ...

LARRY KING:

Well, tell me, help me ...

WOODWARD:

Because what's wrong with sharing a love? You don't sleep with your anonymous sources? Or some other anonymous source who needs love, who didn't have a good childhood ?

LARRY KING:

No, no I don't. I would never dream ...

WOODWARD:

That's because you've never been where I've been mentally ...

LARRY KING:

Well, you know, there are some who would question whether it is really appropriate for a journalist - for a grown journalist - to be doing that? How do you respond to that?

WOODWARD:

I feel sorry for them because that's judging someone who just wants to really help people. Why can't you share your bed? The most loving thing to do, is to share your bed with an anonymous source.

LARRY KING:

You really think that?

WOODWARD:

Yahhh. Of course!!

THE OTHER GUY:

Excuse me, I....

LARRY KING:

Next your calls, on tomorrows show Barbara Walters interviews me to kind of wrap up the week.


My apologies to almost everyone concerned. I am not sure why I did this, but I did it, and you read it.