Sunday, October 30, 2005

Hey, Let's Go Try This New Thing

Hello Institute patrons, it is that time again where you live vicariously through me, Pile, as I swerve out of the comfortable groove of American life going where the more pedestrian chairman of think institutes only fantasize about going.

On today's episode we travel out of the banal into the untrite Chinese supermarket curiously named the Welcome Market, located on Bellaire avenue in the Southwest region of Houston known as, Chinatown.

What toothsome adventures await us there?




This does not appear to lack in qualities that make for spirit and adventure.





There has been a lot of talk about preserved duck eggs in and around the Institute lately, but the question no one seems capable of answering is, just exactly how are these embryos preserved?


I have heard they use clay, pine needles, concrete powder and even that they bury the eggs in pits of molten mud. As I ponder these methods, none of them seem to answer all of the questions that flood through my eager mind.




Who hasn't gazed with hungry eyes upon the jar of pickled eggs at the end of the bar and thought silently to themselves, "I would eat one or a few of those suckers, if only they were black"?




My nostrils are exhilarated with rapturous wafts of ammonia. I know at this moment, I will never use Mr. Clean again without fond memories of this very moment.





A pessimist would see this as the egg being half gone. Thanks to an Ancient Cajun Secret, I see it as another half egg I have yet to relish.







You must guard against a bout of temporary depression at moments like this, when you come face to face with the sudden realization that, the egg is gone. The egg...... is gone.

It is best to ease back into the ordinary with a delectable room temperature can of Grass Jelly Drink.



The Grand Western Food Corporation of Taichung City, Taiwan did not scrimp on ingredients here. Each 11.3 oz. can is just loaded with real grass jelly!



-