Friday, July 15, 2005

Friday Vespers

Hello and welcome Institute Patrons, to another motivating episode of Friday Vespers here at The Ebb & Flow Institute. Please, let one of our friendly staff members provide you with a beer as we reflect on the week just passed.

As you enjoy your beer, provided to you at no charge, we here at the Institute ask that you take a few moments to think about all the great posts KJ and Pile have provided for you this week. Think about how few places there are where you get this kind of uncompromising world class journalism. You have been treated to reporting on groundbreaking research, exclusive interviews, behind the scenes dialogue from today's newsmakers, that you just can't find anywhere else.

Now, ask yourself, don't I know people whose lives would be enriched if only I would give them a free subscription to The Ebb & Flow Institute? Keep asking yourself, why am I so selfishly keeping this little treasure to myself? Those of you with blogs must surely be asking yourself at this point, golly, why haven't I linked to The Ebb & Flow Institute more? My readers do need life enrichment!! Dear God!! What have I not done?


Salute to the Houston Astros



This week we give a big The Ebb & Flow Institute salute to the Houston Astros. Not long ago the Astros were 15 games under .500 and were even taking heat from senior fellows here at the Institute. Sure, they could have given up, quit, but then that wouldn't be very Astro-like now would it?

As we start the 2nd half of the season the Astros are one game over .500 after winning 28 of their final 40 games. Now they are only 5 games behind the Braves in the wildcard race.


And now a word from The Onlette™.


Hi everybody,

Not long ago, about the same time the Astros were in the crapper, I took on a new project here at the Institute. I found myself in need of a way to lift a very heavy, oversized cranium, with little more than a nonexistent neck and some infant-like muscles. The task seemed insurmountable, and I wasn't making much progress. I was on the verge of chucking the whole project and moving on to something else, when I saw how the Astros weren't giving up, even though some here at the Institute had left them for dead.

I drew inspiration from the no-quit Houston Astros and soldiered on. Then the day after the All Star Game; using my knowledge of pulleys, levers and large suspension bridges I had a break through.

Thanks Astros.

The Onlette™